EFL ESL website
List of facts from 'The Story of Stuff'.
1) In the last 30 years, we have used 1/3rd of the Earth's natural
2) For every one garbage bag we throw away, 70 bags of garbage are made
to make it.
3) 51 of the largest 100 organizations in the world are corporations,
4) 5 times more fish are being caught than in 1950.
5) 80% of the world's original forests are gone.
6) In the Amazon alone, 2000 trees a minute, or 7 football fields are
7) In order to make one McDonald's hamburger, 9 square meters of rain
forest are cut.
8) The food with the most toxins is human breast milk.
9) 30% of children in the Congo drop out of school to work in Coltan
mines. (Coltan is for electronic stuff)
10) Consumerism= The idea that happiness equals buying and having
11) Planned obsolescence= you have to buy a new thing because your old
one doesn't work with the new type of product. The old one may still
12) Perceived obsolescence= you have to buy a new thing because you
feel your old one is ugly or not fashionable.
13) 6 months after buying something, only 1% of those things are still