EFL ESL website
英W 演習C の解答例
（注）・下線部は / で区切られた、どの表現でも使えます。
1. My parents advised/ told/
tried to convince me to join the baseball
team, but I hesitate to do
so/ I'm not sure if I want to *because of
its hard training/ tough
practice. (*because I hear the practice is
2. *He is proud of being/
brags that he is a good speaker of English
(*He thinks he is a really good speaker of English), but he is little
better/ more than a
3. It is said that the Japanese do not show their feelings, and he
didn't show his sorrow/
4. 'TV programs are really dull these days, aren't they?'
"You're right. They seem to take the easy way out with simple programs
which they made spending little time and energy."
1. Every year a lot of/ more
and more Japanese go abroad. It is
regrettable/ too bad,
however, that some of them have
no manners/ have bad
manners/ are impolite.
2. As long as/ If you
are seriously thinking/
thinking seriously about
the matter, it doesn't (really) matter whether your opinion is right or
3. It is quite difficult to
foretell/ predict/ tell what the world
will be like in ten or fifteen years, because the whole world is
changing in many ways.
4. The elderly couple from England living next door to us like/
likes very much to take care of their garden, and it has flowers
the year around. It is clear from their simple life that they are not
so wealthy, but isn't their life a truly rich one?
1. He and I are almost the same age, but we hardly ever agree with each
other. The other day, for example, we had a heated discussion about /
got into a really big argument over a really small thing.
2. It is often said that thought is free, but very few can understand
the real meaning of this
3. Japanese high school students go on to college without having formed
the habit of thinking for themselves/ learned how to think for
themselves. Who is to
blame for this/ Who's fault is this/ Who's
responsible for this?
4. It is rude to ask (such) a personal question like that. It's none of
your business whether I'm single or not.
1. It is considered impolite to give advice when it is not asked for.
Even children begin to get angry at such manners/ things as they
2. "I've come without an appointment. Please excuse me for my rudeness/
"That's all right. Please make yourself at home. I've wanted to / I've
been wanting to meet you for a long time.
3. Each of our lives is irreplaceable/
a precious thing. Considering
this seriously, we should be grateful for it and have deep respect for
4. Is it because they are talking loudly to themselves in a way that
makes sense when there is no one around to talk to?
" Conversation is originally dialog, so it may be that we think it
unnatural for someone to talk when
the listener is not there. / when
nobody is there."
1. I stayed in Paris for less than two years, but I will never forget
those happy days all my
life/ for the rest of my life.
（別解）Even though it was less than 2 years, the wonderful time I spent in
Paris is something I will never forget as long as I live.
2. Whether we are aware of/
realize it or not, we owe
much to/ depend
on computers in various/many
ways. And yet, / Nevertheless,
we do not
think much/ hardly ever think about when and how they were
3. My house, which faces a big road, was formerly in quiet
surroundings/a quiet place, but now the traffic is so heavy that
troubled /bothered by its noise/ the noise of the heavy
and day/ day and night/ 24 hours a day.
4. When Mr. Oe Kenzaburo had his first son, who was mentally
handicapped, he said to his wife, Yukari, "Don't cry. It's no use. Our
struggle has just begun."